Saturday, March 16, 2013

Spirit of Tacos Tuesday

     I have decided that you can't have a Spirit of Tacos Tuesday and NOT have your own taco seasoning. I know most people simplify their lives with the little packet of taco seasoning and are perfectly happy. These little envelopes just don't quite do it for me. Most have lactose or whey (two products that I do not consume, or high sodium (we like to pick and choose where and when we consume our salts). Plus they have thickening agents, anti caking agents, etc. I'd like to give those agents the day off in our kitchen. To do that, I have started working on my own taco seasoning. I have learned that it is more cost effective, just as flavourful (I actually prefer mine), and well, it's just fun to make!
     Another bonus to making your own taco seasoning is that you start viewing it differently. No longer is it just something you add to browned ground beef to throw in a tortilla or taco shell. You can use it as a dry rub, sprinkle it on some fries before cooking, Quartered potatoes before baking, veggies to add some zip, you get the idea! This week, I added the a generous amount to my sliders meat and made some super yummy Taco Sliders. MMMMmm mmm MMM.
Add guacamole, sour cream, salsa, cilantro, and any other delightful yummy you would to a taco to this tasty treat and you have a family pleaser for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment